Monday, November 10, 2008

Munda Biddi Trail: Stage 1: Day 0




When you read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before.
         (Clifton Fadiman)





'Took the train north to Perth city to get the latest dibs on the trail.

























         Waiting to cash out your CPF account probably falls under #3.





Lots of fixie riders in the city. Noticed not a few bike messengers riding them.





The Munda Biddi Trail Foundation office is located along Hay Street, above Mountain Design, Perth.





A passageway leads to the Bibbulman Track Foundation and the Munda Biddi Trail Foundation.





         Wheeee





The last time I rode this trail, it felt hurried, mainly because I wasn't self-sufficient. It's not that I have any regrets. It was a good ride, I had a great time, and I took many nice pictures. It all boils down to balancing what you desire from the ride, with the amount of gear you are willing to lug. (Of course, the second variable is greatly dependent on your fitness — physical and mental.) This time, I am bringing a little more than the 6.7 kg (14.74 lbs) I carried on the previous trip, in hopes of trading some speed for more autonomy.





Sarah generously furnished me with all the info I needed. All I have to do tomorrow is pedal. Thanks, Sarah! :-D





Downstairs, I had a wonderful chat with Mike Wood, owner of Mountain Designs, Perth. He recently hiked the entire length of the Bibbulmun Track — from Albany to Perth; a journey of nearly 1000 km (625 miles) — in 60 days. I first encountered Icebreaker traveling in New Zealand and was skeptical about its claims (and more than a little shellshocked at the price), but this time, with it being endorsed by a veteran such as Mike, I decided to give it a try.





I never looked back. This stuff fits like a glove; despite its low bulk, is soooo warm and comfy; and, unlike synthetics such as polypropylene, doesn't stink despite continued use in the field. Jakub Postrzygacz wore the same material for 33 days, with just one bath, on his incredible tour with hardly any objectionable odors. The record so far is 179 days. Make this moth-resistant and it will conquer the world. (Another skinny geek's review.)

During my tour, this is one thing I look forward to at the end of a day's ride. That's how comfortable it is. I'm sold. Future trips will spec this, for sure. They even have a blend for the tropics (female / male). Thanks, Mike!





         Lunch and some random pics from a jaunt around.















Inside an eating establishment little sis used to frequent when she was a clueless undergraduate. Now, she's just a clueless graduate  :-P





And one wonders where she got her table manners from :-D





A mysterious sign in cousin Jay's office.





         Remember to pay the toilet.










An interesting foldie. Changing tires for flats must be easy.
Hey! Free cyclo-computer!





         Previously posted pic.




















An endearing sight: a mini-chopper.





All-weather, high-end version of Gary Fisher and Bike and Roll's pet project.










Nic-land.





         My land.





         #7 rocks.












         Hitting the trail tomorrow.

         :-)



No comments: