Thursday, September 01, 2005

Two pictures



First, here is the picture Mr. E requested a long time ago: my kickass bicycle lock and chain I use for securing my bicycle on campus:

The lock is hardened throughout, with an armored, drill-resistant, 6-pin tumbler. The shackle is boron steel alloy. The chain links are hexagonal (I think), rendering them more difficult to cut. That is irrelevant, however, as the chain links are made from titanium-reinforced, boron steel. Not even a hydraulic cutter can cut this chain — you will need a plasma torch to do the job. The entire unit is also resistant to freezing attacks. The AA batteries are there to give a sense of scale. Weight? Lets just say that the lock and chain weigh more than my bike and leave it at that, shall we?


Next pic:

With the exception of the Cage Rocket (silver container with black flip-top) containing more Power Gu, Espresso Shot candy and rehydration salts, everything on the table goes into the black Camelbak H.A.W.G. resting on the chair.

Trail mix and energy bars need no introduction. Replacing alkaline batteries with lithium equivalents in the front light (and other electrical devices) result in a 33% weight reduction. Gerber Tracer Headlight (with a fresh battery).

Emergency thermal blanket. Self-heating pad for emergencies. Emergency whistle. Old Swiss Army knife from 1988 scouting days — in case I need to defend myself from a vicious rabbit. (If I get eaten by a mountain lion, then I will just blame it on President Bush. Yes, it's always his fault. Wah! Waah! Waaah!) Digital watch. Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS unit. A pack of tissue in case I need to bomb Korea (i.e. take a crap).

Topeak Alien multi-tool. Presta-to-Schrader valve adaptor. Tire levers (purchased from Bridgestone, Far East Shopping Center, 1990 January). Patch kit. Spare tube. Relatively lightweight bicycle lock and security cable (2.5 lbs).

Digital camera. Lightweight tripod.

Lightweight windbreaker. Heavy fleece jersey.

Yes, I am off somewhere (in a few hours, actually).
Stay tuned for pictures sometime this week.

No comments: