Monday, May 05, 2008

Cateye CC AT-100, or, Love Me Two Times, Baby




Aw, thanks, man!

Cateye CC AT-100

Cyclocomputer with Altimeter

The AT-100 is one of the most feature-packed cycle computers available today. A temperature-compensated altimeter provides quick and accurate altitude readings that let you know just how high you have climbed. An EEprom chip saves all your valuable information during battery changes (no more losing your hard-earned mileage). A more powerful backlight lets you see all the information at night, and G-Shock technology takes the abuse of off-road riding.

Specifications

Current Speed
0.0(2.6) - 105.9 km/h (27 inch) : ±0.5 km/h (under 50 km/h)
0.0(1.6) - 62.9 mile/h : ±0.5 mile/h (under 31 mile/h)

Total Distance
0.0 - 42949 km [mile] : ±0.1 km [mile]

Maximum Speed
0.0(2.6) - 105.9 km/h (27 inch) : ±0.5 km/h
0.0(1.6) - 62.9 mile/h : ±0.5 mile/h

Average Speed
0.0 - 105.9 km/h [62.9 mile/h] : ±0.5 km/h [mile/h]
(when elapsed time is over 10 minutes)

Trip Distance
0.0 - 2684.3 km [mile] : ±0.1 km [mile]

Elapsed Time
0:00'00" - 9:59'59" : ±0.003%
12-hr. Clock
0:00' - 11:59' : ±0.003%

Temperature
°C / °F
0° - 50°C (32° - 122°F)

Current Altitude
minus 350 to 5800 m (1050 - 17400feet)

Trip Altitude Gain
0 - 2999 m (0 - 900 x 10 feet)

Total Altitude Gain
x1000 0.0 - 16777 x 1000 m (feet)

Controller
4-bit 1-chip microcomputer (crystal controlled oscillator)

Display
Liquid crystal (with electro-luminescence backlight)

Sensor
No-contact magnetic sensor (Length of the cord: 70 cm)

Operating Temperature Range
0°C - 40°C (32°F - 104°F)

Storage Temperature Range
20°C - 50°C (4°F - 122°F)

Applicable Cycle Size
0 cm - 255 cm (Initial value: 203 cm)

Power Supply
Lithium battery (CR2032) x 1 pc./ approx. a half year (based on one hour's altitude measuring per day)

Dimension
56 x 52 x 22.5 mm (2-7/32" x 2-1/16" x 29/32")

Weight
41 grams (1.45 oz)


Funny reviews

This is really a handy tool to have. It's especially handy if you're out scouting new trails. A GPS altimiter is better though since it isn't affected by air pressure. Though the Cat Eye altimiter does a great job of predicting storms. If the pressure drops rapidly, run for cover!
         (Source)


The Cateye CC AT-100's altimeter can be fairly accurate if you know the altitude of the start of the ride and set it when you arrive there. It does seem to record the total altitude gain of the rides accurately. I've just figured this feature out. Another discovery is that if you ever see the altitude bouncing wildly around your battery needs replacing or you just rode off a cliff. It would be nice if you could set the tire circumference to millimeters instead of centimeters for more accuracy.
         (Source)


The Cateye CC-AT100 is the first cyclecomputer I've ever owned that endures cold and rain without pitching electronic fits. Bike altimeters have a reputation for skittishness but this one worked reliably and was accurate enough actually to be useful.
         (Delaware to Oregon bike tour)


That the AT100 endures cold and rain, I can attest.

More reviews here.



A serious caveat

It works well but there is major failing regarding the altimeter and that is that there is a daily limit of 9000 ft and if you exceed it without resetting, you've as good as knackered the whole unit...
         (Source)


I guess I came a little close to doing that on my Mount Hamilton via Pleasanton / Livermore ride  :-D

Metric users should reset their total altitude climbed in 24 hours before it hits 2999 m or their computers will suffer a similar fate.





Double the pleasure, double the pain!


Love me one time
I could not speak
Love me one time
Yeah, my knees got weak
But love me two times, girl
Last me all through the week
Love me two times
I'm goin' away






9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you got a good run with the AT 100. Mine went kaput after 3 months and the replacement fr Japan lasted maybe 4.

No alt readings at all. I still have oi from 1992, Have you taken a course in repairing it. It's yours if U can!

Chris W

-ben said...

Hello Chris!

Waddup!?

Yes, I have read some bad reviews about AT100 going kaput after 3 months too; most of them around the 3 month period. That's really strange. I wonder if it is software-based or a faulty barometer sensor. Someone at QC is probably asleep and/or drunk on sake :-P

I wonder if it has to do with the battery though. You see, from experience, I discovered that the AT100 is an energy hog. Specifications state that the battery lasts half a year, but that's based on one hour of altitude measurement per day. I mean, that's not realistic. Who only rides 1 hour a day? I find myself replacing the battery every 2 to 3 months, or else a ride from Dairy Farm to Peter Chew's will record a couple thousand feet of elevation climbed.

No alt readings at all. I still have oi from 1992

Dang! My original Cateye, the ATC, is somewhere in the undergrowth along Woodcutter's Trail. I swear I was just riding along, minding my own business when this bush came out of nowhere and kidnapped it :-(

Have you taken a course in repairing it. It's yours if U can!

LOL! Now that will be a challenge! But at that level, the components might be surface mount. I am comfortable with discrete components, but surface mount is probably beyond my ability. Still, if you have a nice soldering iron, it might worth your time :-D

How is the Surly Long Haul Trucker treating you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,

I've graduated to Enduro 8. AT 100 is now an expensive clock stuck on to bathroom mirror. On the other hand I have 5 Mity 2s that seem to last forever.

Surly LHT going to Bali in Aug, with front AND rear racks as I'm carrying wife's gear too. Shld be fun or at most 'siong' What a heavy but politically correct bike!

Latest trip here :
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sumatra

Chris

-ben said...

Hilarious write up, Chris!

Sleepy Al, eh?

LOL!


I told you, when we hooked up, baby, that you were gonna have to share me with all the bad people and ugly events on this planet. (Al Pacino as Lieutenant Vincent Hanna in Heat)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have an older and absolutely reliable AT 100 and because of its altimeter feature I would like to use it for paragliding. All I need is the Wrist Band (Spare Part #169-9835). Does anyone know where one of these is still available?

Thanks, Paul

-ben said...

Hi Paul,

'Wanted to direct you here, but it appears that they no longer carry it. Your best bet is probably to call your favorite LBS and get them to track one down for you, or call around. I do recall seeing one hanging from the rack at the Foothill branch of Chain Reaction Bicycles years ago. Try eBay too, if you feel lucky.

That said, the Cateye CC-AT100 is not certified for paragliding though. You may want to check with your instructor on that.


Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,

thanks for your help. I have contacted the people at ChainReactionBicycles, we will see what they still have.

The good thing about paragliding is that you do not have to ask for the certification of your instrumentation as long as you are able to follow the air traffic rules (at least here in Germany). Before I spend another 200 to 300 bucks on a standard paragliding altimeter the Cateye will do it. When you pilot a glider, which is classified as a "real" plane the situation is of course a different one.

Again, many thanks,

Paul

-ben said...

Ah, I see!

I hope it works out.
Good luck and have fun, Paul!

Anonymous said...

I'v been using mine since I don't know when probably over 10 years now. The battery lasts for a couple of years. I though it went kaput yesterday when it it was flashing the kph symbol and nothing else. I put new battery in and reset it and now it is running again. The GPS units are far more accurate but then again I only get about 10 hours without an external battery pack so the ultra long rides are a bit of a pain

Peter